Course with Selection Process
Tutors: Anne Hilde Neset and Peter Meanwell (EN – one week each), Stefan Fricke (DE)
Application Deadline: 31 March 2016
Audio production: Eberhard Bätza
Course contents (in two languages; DE/EN)
– Practice-oriented lectures and coaching
– Lecturers from different fields of contemporary music
– Interviews with composers and musicians
– Overview of the job profile of a new music journalist
– Overview of contemporary music genres
– Creation of own contributions (print, radio, on-line)
– Insight into different media with main focus on feature writing and art radio
– Curation of the Darmstadt Summer Course Blog
– Media cooperation with Darmstädter Echo and British Broadcasting Company (BBC) with the chance to publish texts/features
– study or have studied musicology or music
– have a thorough knowledge of the music history after 1945
– already have written and and, ideally, published texts about new music
– want to write about music at a professional level
– have an understanding of ideas relating to ‘Music criticism‘, ‘Culture in the media‘ and ‘Music and language‘
Applications, with the following documents, should be submitted by 31 March 2016:
Curriculum vitae; 2 text samples and/or a recommendation from a university tutor; a short statement as to why you would like to take part in the Writing Workshop.
Please send in application documents in electronic form to:
The number of participants is limited. The course directors are responsible for the selection. Selected applicants must officially register as participants of the 48th International Summer Course for New Music Darmstadt.
The participants of the Writing Workshop will receive a form by which the recognition of the project can be organised individually at their home university already in advance.