eventgrafik-2016

Sunday, 7 August 2016 | 16:00 | Edith-Stein-Schule (Sporthalle)

Rückspiegel – Seven Works from Seven Decades: LACHENMANN

Helmut Lachenmann: Intérieur I for solo percussion (1966)
(2 Performances + Lecture in English)

Håkon Stene (Percussion)
Leonie Klein (Percussion)
Ulrich Mosch (Lecture)

The "Rückspiegel" [Retrospective] project will present seven works from seven decades of the Darmstadt International Summer Course for New Music with sounds and words. The decisive factor in the selection was not so much the historical significance of the individual works as the question of how far each of them can stand for the discussions going on at the time of its creation, both in Darmstadt and elsewhere.

In the 1960s many composers were interested not only in the material itself, but also in ordering material in new ways; the instrumental theater of Mauricio Kagel or Dieter Schnebel, for example, or the experiments with graphic notation, can be viewed as attempts at such a reordering from very particular perspectives. In his 1966 percussion piece Intérieur I, Helmut Lachenmann developed for the first time something that would take on importance at the end of the decade for what he called his "musique concrète instrumentale": ordering sounds according to their means of production, combined with a systematic variation of their parameters.

The works:
31 July 2016 Stefan Prins: Piano Hero
1 August 2016 Brian Ferneyhough: String Quartet No. 3
2 August 2016 John Cage: Concert for Piano and Orchestra (1958)
6 August 2016 Wolfgang Rihm: Musik für drei Streicher (only one performance due to its duration of 45 minutes)
7 August 2016 Helmut Lachenmann: Intérieur I
10 August 2016 Luigi Nono: Polifonica – Monodia – Ritmica
14 August 2016 Isabel Mundry: Traces des moments

Tickets: 5 € (box office only)
Edith-Stein-Schule

Supported by Kulturstiftung des Bundes

Biographies