Flute Composition Workshop
Tutors: Eva Furrer (Flute) and Rebecca Saunders (Composition)
Workshop with selection procedure
For participants of the International Summer Course for New Music 2016
Dates/times: 3 to 5 August 2016, 2.30 to 6pm
Maximum capacity: 6 flutists, 12 composers
Deadline for applications: 15 April 2016
– Reflection on the collaborative working process between instrumentalists and composers
– Experimentation of the potential of a single sound, gesture or idea
Working in collaborative groups of two composers with one flutist the chief concerns are:
1. experimentation of the potential of a single sound, gesture or idea
2. improvisational und explorative techniques
3. precise notation
4. communication between composer and instrumentalist
Rather than preparing a perfect finished piece for concert performance, the aim of this workshop is to reflect on the collaborative working process itself.
A short performance and presentation of the flute solo miniatures created over the three days will close the workshop at „Open Space“.
Composers should not prepare sound materials for the workshop.
The first and last meeting will be open to the public.
Important information for the call:
Interested composers, please send the following materials to
by 15 April 2016 the latest:
– CV/bio (short version)
– 1 very recent chamber work score and recording, inclusion of flute in said work is not necessary
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
Eva Furrer and Rebecca Saunders will choose the twelve composers not later than 15 May 2016.
All workshop participants have to be registered for the Darmstadt Summer Course 2016.
The six first applying flutists can take part in the project.